Consumers should be able to trust that the products they purchase will not cause them harm. Therefore, companies that produce or market products to consumers are responsible for ensuring that their products will not injure, disable, or otherwise hurt their customers. Victims can experience serious personal injury and families the tragedy of a wrongful death as the result of a defective product. The lawyers at our Austin, San Antonio, and Texas-area firm are committed to holding corporations and manufacturers responsible for their negligence.
Defining a Defective Product
The definition of the term “product” includes anything created by human action that is used by or comes into physical contact with people, including machinery, food, automobiles, appliances, electrical devices, toys, medicine, and clothing. The product in question may exhibit a manufacturing defect, meaning that it was not made the way it was intended to be made, or a defective design, meaning that the design of the product renders it unreasonably dangerous. Our defective product lawyers have represented Austin, Texas residents, as well as clients from across the country, with their product liability claims, which include:
- Automobile defects: Faulty design, malfunctioning or injurious seatbelts and airbags, and the negligent placement of fuel tanks can all result in serious injuries during a truck or auto accident. Our firm also handles rollover and roof-crush cases.
- Faulty software programming: Many of today’s appliances contain embedded computer software that guides the machines’ performance. When this software contains a bug or other defect, the results can be disastrous.
- Faulty machinery: This category encompasses automatic doors and gates, construction equipment, production line equipment, and other equipment which can cause serious injury or death if not properly designed or manufactured.
- Faulty safety guards: A safety guard defect on a dangerous power tool such as an electric saw can result in serious personal injury.
- Airplane and helicopter defects: If a design or manufacturing defect is the culprit behind an aviation accident, the air carrier and/or manufacturer can be held responsible.
- Propane and natural gas storage: If the equipment used to store or transmit propane or natural gas is defective, a major can occur.
- Defective Drugs and Medical Devices: A dangerous drug or medical device can cause irreparable injury to hundreds of victims at a time, prompting widespread recalls.
With vast experience handling defective product cases, our lawyers have achieved outstanding results in Austin, Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, and throughout Texas and the country. Our firm obtained a substantial verdict in a products liability case in San Antonio, with the client receiving over $4.3 million after attorneys’ fees and expenses after an automobile accident rendered him a tetraplegic. The firm also achieved a substantial product liability verdict against Ford Motor Company in Travis County after one client suffered a concussion and broken arm and ribs and another client was killed. Our firm’s collective expertise in both the legal and engineering aspects of product liability informs our investigation and case preparation.
Contact Our Defective Product Attorneys
At Whitehurst, Harkness, Brees, Cheng, Alsaffar, Higginbotham, and Jacob, PLLC we are proud to put our expertise in product liability litigation to work for your family. For an evaluation of your defective product claim, contact our product liability lawyers.
You can look at our national reach page to see our success in states across the United States. You can also see our full results on our case results page. Here are some of the cases that we have won on behalf of clients: