Mr. Tom Jacob graduated first in his class at Baylor Law School. While there, he served as Editor-in-Chief of the Baylor Law Review. He also won the “Top Gun” Competition, a five-day, single-elimination one-on-one trial competition. He has numerous other advocacy awards at Baylor, including induction into the Order of the Barristers; eight different advocacy awards at intramural and team competitions, including: 1st Place Nat’l Trial Advocacy Competition; 3rd Place AAJ Trial Advocacy Competition; 3rd Place Nat’l Ethics Trial Advocacy Competition; 2nd Best Speaker Nat’l Security Moot Court Competition.
After law school, Mr. Jacob clerked for the Honorable Will Garwood on the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals. Since 2010, Mr. Jacob has taken on a wide range of medical malpractice and personal injury cases, including failure to diagnose cancer, birth injuries, and traumatic brain injuries. In 2012, he tried to judgment a failure to diagnose septic hip case in Mississippi. In 2014, he tried a case in the First Circuit arising out of the failure to diagnose and treat a stroke. He’s participated in appeals at the United States Supreme Court, argued before the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals, and worked on class actions across the country.
Mr. Jacob is the immediate-past chair of the Federal Tort Liability & Military Advocacy section of the American Association for Justice and is an Attorney-Coach for the University of Texas Undergraduate Mock Trial Teams, where he teaches trial advocacy. He has taught trial advocacy across the country, including New York, N.Y. and Washington, D.C.
- Calvert Inn of Court
- Austin Bar Association
- Austin Young Lawyers Association
- Texas Trial Lawyers Association
- American Association for Justice
- Texas Bar Foundation, Fellow
- State Bar of Texas
- First Circuit Court of Appeals
- Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Western District of Texas
- Eastern District of Texas
- Southern District of Texas
- Northern District of Texas
- Southern District of Illinois
- Northern District of Florida
- Baylor Law School, JD, summa cum laude
- University of Texas at Austin, BA, Government
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, Judge Will Garwood
- $1,903,961 trial verdict ($1,675,000 settlement on appeal, with clients recovering $1,150,505 after fees and expenses) against Health and Human Services, arising out of the failure to diagnose a septic hip in a child.
- $21,592,643.03 trial verdict ($15,884,511.98 in trust for clients with lifetime benefits) against the Department of Veterans Affairs, arising out of the failure to diagnose a stroke.
- $3,000,000 settlement for emergency room medical malpractice ($1,955,638.58 to clients after fees and expenses)
- $6,500,000 birth injury settlement ($4,581,969.98 net to clients after attorneys’ fees and expenses) arising out of the use of Pitocin/Oxytocin leading to uterine hyperstimulation.
- $2,150,000 wrongful death settlement ($1,492,813 net to clients after attorneys’ fees and expenses) resulting from the failure to diagnose cancer.
- $775,000 settlement ($340,000 net to clients after attorneys’ fees and expenses) against the United States Postal Service. Client suffered nerve injuries to leg after a t-bone car wreck.
- $1,000,000 settlement ($650,236.03 net to clients after attorneys’ fees and expenses) against the Army arising out of a military convoy wreck resulting in mild traumatic brain injury.
- Co-presenter, Driven to Distraction (Apr. 10, 2012), awarded the Lloyd Lochridge Award for Best Presentation.
- Co-presenter, From My Cold, Dead Hands: the Second Amendment (Oct. 9, 2012).
- Presenter, Introduction to Opening Statements (Dec. 3, 2012).
- Presenter, Federal Preemption & Repose (July 20, 2013).
- Co-presenter, 50 Ways to Lose Your License (March 4, 2014).
- Presenter, What is a Healthcare Liability Claim? (July 12, 2014).
- Author, Letter from the Chair, Fed. Tort. & Military Advocacy (Nov. 2014).
- Co-presenter, Voter ID & Voting Rights (Jan. 13, 2015).
- Author, Equitable Tolling & the Statute of Limitations in the FTCA, Fed. Tort. & Military Advocacy (Feb. 2014).
- Presenter, E-Filing Basics in Federal Court, Travis County Woman Lawyers Association, A Day in Federal Court (May 15, 2015).
- Presenter, Cases You Gotta Know (2014–15), Texas Trial Lawyers Association Mid-Year Convention (June 4, 2015).
- Presenter, Federal Tort Claims Act, Fed. Tort. & Military Advocacy (July 11, 2015)